Wednesday, September 30, 2009

The Breadwinner


The Breadwinner

By Deborah Ellis

Published by Group West in 2000


Summary: This book is set in Afghanistan where the Talibans have taken over the country. It is about a young girl in this culture where women are not allowed to be outside unless accompanied by a man or with a man's permission. Women are to wear Burqas whenever outisde. The young girl, Parvana, is forced to live this way until her father is arrested and her and her family have no way to make money so that they can eat and live. Parvana dresses as a boy and tries to make money the same way her father did. Parvana learns how to survive and keep her head up in these horrible times of war where they Talibans are cruel to them but they keep going and enduring.


Review: This book was interesting! I learned a lot about the Afghan culture and history that I hadn't know before. It was like I was experiencing these things with Parvana as she did. She had to take on the weight of the family and she became strong and able to handle anything. I loved her character and how she handled everything. She decided that some things werent' being mad over or she would have good priorities about things. I liked the way that Deborah Ellis wrote this book. It was about the history and culture of Afghanistan but told in a way that I completely could understand and be interested in. It was intense some parts and it made me realize how good I have it, here in America. I love reading books where I can learn about something that I had no idea about before I read it.


No comments:

Post a Comment