Wednesday, September 16, 2009

After the First Death


Author: Robert Cormier
Published in 1979 by Dell Laurel-Leaf

Summary:
After the First Death is a book about a terrorist act. Kate, who is filling in for her uncle as a bus driver, has a bus full of four and five year olds when it is hijacked by four men who force her to drive the bus to the middle of an abandoned bridge where they demand some things in return for the children. These terrorists drug the children and one of the dies from it. Kate tries to escape once and fails because the bus stalls. The terrorists make a deal with Gov. Briggs, who offers his son to take the demands to the bus and this is where all of the shooting happens...

Personal Review:
I still am not sure whether or not I like this book. It was really sad for me because of the characters that I got to know died. It was brilliantly written and I honestly appreciate Cormier's work but it was a little disturbing. I loved Kate and how brave she was in trying to escape with the children. I liked learning about Miro and his internal struggles. I felt so bad for Ben when he was tortured but I guess that is what a great book does. The audience can relate to the characters and see the story that is presented and learn from it. I was amazed by his writing and the story he told.

Cautionary Note:
This book is pretty violent and has a few swear words.

No comments:

Post a Comment